Gas Safety Certificate

15 Questions and Answers about Gas Safety in Rented Property

Hopefully we have answered all the most common questions on this page, buy but if you need any more information or advice please get in touch with our Property Management team on 0207 394 1160.

1. What is a Gas Safety Record?

A landlord who has gas appliances in a rented property must be checked every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Once the engineer has tested the equipment he will issue a Gas Safety Record – also called a certificate, with a copy to the tenant and landlord or his agent.

2. Why Must Gas Appliances be Checked?

It is mandatory legislation, to make sure that the gas appliances and installation are safe to use. So if a landlord or his agent fails to have proper testing carried out, and records kept and distributed, then they leave themselves open to prosecution. There is a risk of fines and even a custodial sentence for landlords or agents who don’t comply with the law. However, testing is a very simple process and it is not expensive.

3. Which Gas Appliances are Covered by the Legislation?

Any gas installation (including pipework) and appliances in rented property should be safe. In the UK legislation requires landlords to have gas appliances checked by a Gas Safe engineer annually. This would include any gas pipework, cooker, hob, oven, fire, or stove.

4. When to get a Gas Safety Test?

The landlord or agent should arrange your Gas Safety Record to be issued before the tenant moves in. Obviously this means the landlord incurs costs before the property is let. However it is not worth moving tenants into a potentially unsafe environment.  The Landlord may have a Gas Safety record in place from a previous tenancy, and this is perfectly acceptable..

5. Is LPG included in the Legislation?

Yes – gas appliances that are serviced by LPG or bottled gas must be checked – so this could include gas barbeques (if supplied by the landlord).

6. What is the Gas Safe Register?

The Gas Safe Register is a Government approved registration body for qualified gas engineers who are assessed as being experienced and capable of ensuring the safe installation and checking of any gas appliances and pipework. Any gas fitter in the UK, Guernsey, and Isle of Man must be on the register to work legally on gas installations and gas appliances.

7. What is Corgi?

The old approved registration for Gas engineers and installers was called CORGI. Many people still refer to it, even though it was replaced by the Gas Safe Register in 2009. Any reputable agent will only allow any gas related work at your rental property to be carried out by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. If your agent does not comply with this basic standard then they put you and themselves at risk of prosecution, in which case you should get yourself a new managing agent.

8. How Often Should Gas appliances Be Checked?

The landlord does not need to have a gas safety test carried out at the beginning or end of each tenancy – just on an annual basis, or where a new appliance is installed, or if a fault is suspected.

9. What If Tenants Have Gas Appliances?

The tenant is responsible for getting a Gas Safe record for appliances that they bring into the property, but the landlord will still need to have the installed pipework and flues checked so the best way to manage this is to share the cost and test the whole system at the same time.

10. How can Riley Marshall help?

We can arrange these inspections on your behalf, so you get the most competitive rates. We will liaise with the tenants and engineer to get access to the property. Usually the bill can be paid from the rent collected. Perhaps the most important role your managing agent plays is the keeping records of due dates and gas records.

Get a quote or arrange an inspection

11. How to find a Gas Safe Engineer

Riley Marshall only employ gas engineers who are on the Gas Safe register. Letting and managing agents build up good working relationships with reputable local tradesmen. This means these engineers treat our instructions with precedence if there is an emergency or urgent call out. It is in the engineer’s interests to make sure a bigger client, like a letting agent, is given priority where they might keep an individual waiting.

12. How Do I Know the Engineer is Gas Safe Registered?

A landlord or tenant can check whether the engineer is Gas Safe registered (and not just claiming to be) you can check this on the Gas Safe Register site here.

13. What Happens During a Gas Safety Test?

The engineer will test that all appliances and pipework are working safely and that there is sufficient ventilation. They will write a report which will include any mandatory work, any recommended work, and any notes that need to be checked in future.  Landlords sometimes assume that their appliance will be serviced as part of the testing fee, but actually it is more like a car MOT. The Gas Safe engineer is simply testing performance, not carrying out any maintenance work.

You can arrange to have a service at the same time as a Gas Safety check, as the combined price is usually cheaper than having it done separately.

14. Gas Safety Testing and Servicing

It can save landlords money to have appliances serviced and tested at the same time. Anniversaries of Gas Safe Record renewal are likely to be dictated by the first tenancy, but it is actually a good idea to have gas appliances tested, serviced, and maintained during the spring or summer. That way if there are problems the tenant will be less inconvenienced. It will also be easier to find a reliable Gas Safe engineer, with time to make repairs at that time of year. There is perfectly acceptable to have two Landlords Gas Safety checks within a year if the landlord wants their servicing dates to coincide with gas testing dates.

15. Remedial Work

If the Gas Safe engineer finds a gas appliance or installation is not safe, then he is obliged to disconnect it and he will place a warning sticker on it. The tenant cannot use it until it is repaired. This can be upsetting for tenants and so it may be helpful for landlords to have a letting agent as a middle-man to deal with their concerns and get work done quickly. Remedial works are tax-deductible. If we are managing the property we will receive the bill on your behalf, deduct the contractor’s payment from rent paid by the tenant, and pay the contractor. We also keep records and issue statements so you can use them to fill in tax returns.

Did we answer all your questions? If not you can get in touch with our team or click the link below and fill in the form.